Rio de los Brazos De Dios
Lake Whitney was completed in 1951 as a result of the Flood Control Act of 1944 in an effort to control flooding on the main stem of the Brazos River (the longest river in TX). The Brazos River was founded by early Spanish explorers who had gone days without seeing any sign of water. When they came across the Brazos, they named it Rio de los Brazos de Dios, or The River of the Arms of God.
Lake Whitney is surrounded by rural communities and Army Corp of Engineers’ parks and lands. These lands are reserved and protected by the Corp of Engineers and are home to an abundance of wildlife, flora and fauna.
Brazos Recovery Center is located outside of city limits, within a quarter mile of the water. We have a great view of the lake from the Center, and can walk to the nearest park and boat ramp. Also within a quarter mile of the Facility is what has been rightfully named “Meditation Mountain”. It is a large mesa with hiking trails up to the top, where there are many beautiful places to commune with nature.